How Should I Insure my Mobile Contractor’s Equipment?

As a contractor, you have machinery that must be transported to and from worksites. This equipment can include machinery such as air compressors, pumps, generators, sprayers, welding equipment, building and cleaning equipment, geophysical exploration devices, lighting or well servicing equipment. Insuring this equipment properly during different stages of movement is critical. Standard Business Auto policies allow for property damage and liability coverage for registered mobile equipment while it is being transported by a covered auto. For example, if you are transporting a bulldozer on your flatbed truck and the bulldozer falls off and hits another vehicle, the truck’s auto coverage responds to the damage caused by the bulldozer. When the bulldozer is no longer being transported and is in operation at a job site, any property damage, bodily injury or liability coverage must be secured under separate Contractors’ Equipment and Commercial General Liability policies. In addition, specialized equipment that is permanently affixed to a truck chassis may require special coverage analysis.

If you have any questions about insuring your mobile equipment or would like a free analysis of existing coverage, please contact us.